Date:      Tue, 6 Aug 2002 00:41:43 +0100
From:      Scott Mitchell <scott.mitchell@mail.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Java plugin with Opera possible?

On Mon, Aug 05, 2002 at 01:06:29PM -0700, Mike Erickson wrote:
> According to a message from opera on their linux website forum, the
> netscape Java plugin doesn't work properly (according to opera) and the
> other browsers use built-in java support to work around this (including
> netscape -- go figure). It also says that opera will probably also move
> towards built-in java support in the future, and that there is no
> guarenteed way to get java to work with opera right now.

That's interesting... it clearly does work some of the time --
proof-by-example in the form of working applets :-) -- but some
Java-enabled pages certainly do fail.  The Windows version can be
downloaded with a full JRE, or it will use the one you already have
installed, so I guess they've dumped the plugin in favour of 'real' Java
there already.

YMMV, I suppose.

> mike (mouse gesture and open-in-background feature addict)

I like the way it will reload all the pages I had open when I shut down,
the next time it starts.  The Windows and Linux versions both tend to crash
on me every couple of days; it's nice to have the 20-odd pages you've spent
the last week accumulating on your desktop magically reappear when you
restart the browser.

Of course it would be ever better if it didn't crash at all, but you can't
have everything.

	Scott