Date:      Tue, 25 Apr 2000 16:58:36 -0700 (PDT)
From:      "tjk@tksoft.com" <tjk@tksoft.com>
To:        darren@nighttide.net (Darren Henderson)
Cc:        freebsd-security@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: SPAM Problem!!

Unfortunately complicated systems have a very poor record of
success on the Internet.

I think good old fashioned prison sentences and fines
would work the best. I am not saying imprison every
spammer; just the ones who engage in fraud. In my books,
using somebody else's email address, or a non-existent
email address, for sending millions of emails is
definitely fraud. There are laws to book these people.
Too bad nobody cares to enforce the law when it
involves some actual hard work. (It takes more effort
per offender to arrest and convict these people,
than passing out speeding tickets. Therefore, the
cities, states, etc. get less revenue from these kinds
of cases. And nobody wants to pay more taxes.)

More than 90% of spam which I see, and nearly 100%
of the spam I feel strongly about, has a fraudulent
sender's email address.

Troy