Date:      Mon, 24 Jun 2002 17:04:55 +0200
From:      Pim van Pelt <pim@bit.nl>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   DP1 + acpi(4) + wi(4)

Hoi,

On some particular laptop, which has predominantly SiS chips built in, I
have been trying to install FreeBSD ever since 4.0 came out. Every time,
the wavelan NIC I own (a Buffalo, Prism-I) gets detected by the pccardd
fine, inserted and the MAC adres is found.

Any time I try to use the NIC, eg with ``dhclient wi0'', the machine
responds with periodic ``wi0: watchdog timeout'' messages.

With the 5.0 DP1 version of the kernel, this was no longer the case
and the wavelan works like a charm. However, ACPI does not really want
to do its thing, and I get errors, slowing the machine to a halt every
now and again, even hanging the kernel completely.

I thought about disabling ACPI (in /boot/loader.rc, unset acpi_load) and
then of course the machine is stable, but the ``wi0: watchdog timeout''
pesters me once more :)

Any ideas on which sub-system of the ACPI driverset is responsible for
the PCMCIA card working, so I can enable exactly that and keep the rest
out of harms way ?

Oh, and don't try to run ``acpiconf -s5'' to try and put your laptop to
sleep, it will copy memory to disk, apparently starting at cyl/sect 0/0,
overwriting your slice happily (thanks, Mitsuru)

groet,
Pim