Date:      Mon, 7 Dec 1998 18:43:12 +0200
From:      Ruslan Ermilov <ru@ucb.crimea.ua>
To:        Thomas David Rivers <rivers@dignus.com>
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: TCP bug

On Mon, Dec 07, 1998 at 11:11:16AM -0500, Thomas David Rivers wrote:
> > Umm. Have you tried to disable PMTU on your FreeBSD box?
> >

>  Nope.. do you mean on the interior nodes or the gateway - or both?
> (Some of my interior nodes aren't FreeBSD... so I may not have that option.)

I mean the FreeBSD box you are sitting on and from which you can't access
www.aol.com.

>  And, I thought I would find something about that in the sysctls - say,
> net.inet.XXX - but nothing jumps out at me... which sysctl would disable
> MTU-D?

MTU can be disabled on per-route basis. It is neither clear, nor documented.
This can be done by locking MTU on a route. For example, if you want to
disable PMTU-D on default, you should say:

# route change default -lock -mtu 1500 (or whatever you have it set to)

! Note, that if you specify -mtu without parameter (this is what came to my
! mind first), route command will coredump.

Now, you should be able to check that PMTU-D is disabled by:

a) ``route get default'' will show mtu as 1500L, i.e. 1500 and locked;
b) ``route get www.aol.com'' will show the same mtu, because this route
   is cloned from the default (or maybe you have direct route to AOL?);
c) ``tcpdump'' won't show DF bit in outgoing packets (this is for sure).

BR,
--
Ruslan Ermilov		Sysadmin and DBA of the
ru@ucb.crimea.ua	United Commercial Bank