Date:      Thu, 26 Feb 1998 22:08:04 -0700
From:      Nate Williams <nate@mt.sri.com>
To:        Tom <tom@sdf.com>
Cc:        Nate Williams <nate@mt.sri.com>, Johnathan Raymond Sconiers II <john@Mcs.Net>, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: do you support

>   Programming info is available for Adaptec cards, just like the NCR
> cards.  Perhaps maybe 3 years ago that was case, but not for a long time.
> The Adaptec cards do more things on-board so the driver is more complex.

My NCR board performs within 10% (sometimes faster in certain
benchmarks) of the Adaptec driver, and hasn't been broken in 3 years.
Tell me that the stability/usability of not having it broken *ever* in 3
years isn't worth it.

>   Also, the existing ahc driver is not being maintained anymore.

The NCR has rarely been touched as well.

> It has known bugs that no one will fix, because the SCSI people are
> looking ahead to CAM.

Yet another good reason not to use the Adaptec boards.  Looking to the
future is all well and good, but it leaves a bitter taste in my mouth to
get stuck with brokeness all in the name of progress, especially when
other options exist.

Nate