Date:      Fri, 31 Aug 2001 00:57:29 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Chris BeHanna <behanna@zbzoom.net>
To:        FreeBSD-Stable <stable@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD and Athlon Processors

On Thu, 30 Aug 2001, Dave Tweten wrote:

> pahowes@fair-ware.com said:
> >In the past, I had heard that Linux and FreeBSD didn't work well on
> >the Athlon processors.  Have all of the issues since been resolved?
   ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
> >Now that Tyan has the TigerMP motherboard out for around $200, and the
> >1.2 GHz Athlon MP chips are around $160, building a multiprocessor
> >system is looking like a better and better idea.
>
> The "multiprocessor" part of this question seems to me to be getting
> missed in all the "Problem, what problem?" replies.

    "multiprocessor" wasn't part of the question.

    Sorry, I don't know about SMP AMD systems and FreeBSD.  I am
curious, though, as Gigabyte is rumored to soon be releasing a dual-
Athlon motherboard, and the newer Athlons coming out soon (if they're
not already out) are supposed to run significantly cooler than the one
I now have.

    Only deal-killer for me would be the Irongate chipset's
unfriendliness with the XFree86 Radeon driver.  I bought that card to
play around with OpenGL, and I can't do it.  :-(

--
Chris BeHanna
Software Engineer                   (Remove "bogus" before responding.)