Date:      Mon, 2 Apr 2001 02:38:00 +0200
From:      "Karsten W. Rohrbach" <karsten@rohrbach.de>
To:        Mike Smith <msmith@freebsd.org>
Cc:        "David W. Chapman Jr." <dwcjr@inethouston.net>, "Jason T. Luttgens" <lucky@lansters.com>, freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Network performance question

Mike Smith(msmith@freebsd.org)@2001.04.01 10:25:28 +0000:
> > > FreeBSD kinda disappointed me. It gets ~1000 interface errors on about
> > > 514000 packets. I switched the 3COM card out for a NetGear FA311 (sis
> > > driver). After receiving ~310000 packets, the network goes down (can't
> > > ping/telnet anywhere). At that point I have to ifconfig down and up the
> > > interface to get it back.
>
> You're disappointed in *FreeBSD* because of this?  These are *hardware*
> failures you're describing here...

mike, driver stuff can be implemented in not just one way or style of
code as we all know. the freebsd approach is to have readable code, no
awkward hacks (well, errrhm, almost ;) and a structure that meets the
specifications of the hardware and, hopefully, is extendible for newer
hw versions. the linux approach is to have a flying penguin touching the
ground with the tip of his left foot, trying not to crash into the next
obstacle - and so is the source. the linux community tends to fix driver
problems on certain hardware with evil hacks and, hell, at least it
_seems_ to work ;-)
for my production systems i prefer the first option, anyway.

for the hardware issues in the original mail:
- i do not use any 3com equipment anymore since 3com is evil
- i like intel 82559 or dec 21141 chipsets, i got some boxes running
  with smc etherpower ii, too
- for a packet capture system analyzing netbios traffic on a switched
  ethernet via replicating a whole 100mbps switch backplane onto one
  1000SX interface i used tigon ii cards (netgear ga620)
- the only os that could handle the traffic with bpf/pcap and to the log
  weeding and storage on one p-iii 500 box was freebsd
- one has to know the doodads of kernel configuration. i think, that
  especially maxusers should be higher by default in the GENERIC kernel,
  not to talk about options NMBCLUSTERS that should be 8192 minimum
- sure, fact is that one needs to configure a kernel for specific tasks
  like capturing high volume traffic from a network, but that's a
  typical RTFM issue - anyway the kernel configuration options could be
  documented much much better

btw, i just tried the serverworks based asus board you recommended me at
bsdcon2k - runs like a charm ;-) thanks!

/k

--
KR433/KR11-RIPE -- http://www.webmonster.de -- ftp://ftp.webmonster.de