Date:      18 Aug 1998 19:20:01 -0500
From:      stephen farrell <stephen@farrell.org>
To:        Tom <tom@uniserve.com>
Cc:        Vadim Belman <voland@plab.ku.dk>, "freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG" <freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Intel EtherExpress Pro 10/100B network collisions

Tom <tom@uniserve.com> writes:

> On Tue, 18 Aug 1998, Vadim Belman wrote:

> > Surprisingly, we found that Intel board produces a _huge_
> > number of network collisions, almost for every output
> > packet.
> > We have 3COM switches installed in our location.
> >
> > Did anyone experience the same or similar problem with
> > cards in question?
>
>   Yes, this will hapen if the card isn't configured with the same duplex
> mode as the switch port it is plugged in.  You might just need to do a
> "ifconfig fxp0 mediaopt full-duplex"

Note that full-duplex can also SLOW your network down.  I don't
understand this, and am too looking for answers.  However, I switched
a 100+ to full-duplex and went from 10Mbps -> 10bps transfer rates to
a sparc/sol2.5 box on 10baseT LAN (though connections off the LAN were
normal).  Clearly some care needs to be taken in how to configure this
card.

--

Steve Farrell