Date:      Tue, 4 Apr 2000 17:54:45 -0700
From:      Alfred Perlstein <bright@wintelcom.net>
To:        Jens Rehsack <rehsack@informatik.uni-halle.de>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: connection problem: FreeBSD Computer does not respond

* Jens Rehsack <rehsack@informatik.uni-halle.de> [000404 17:41] wrote:

> Alfred Perlstein schrieb:
> >
> > * Jens Rehsack <rehsack@informatik.uni-halle.de> [000404 17:19] wrote:
> > > Hi!
> > >
> > > I'm a FreeBSD "newbie" (you would call it so, wouldn't you?), and I have
> > > installed
> > > a machine with FreeBSD 3.4 (distribution from Walnut Creek CDROM).
> > > The system works fine, except that the system doesn't answer for any
> > > ip-requests
> > > (ECHO REQ., FTP-Connect, NFS-Connect) before I didn't ping a machine.
> > > which machine
> > > that is makes no different.
> > > When I've pinged a machine, the system will answer incoming packets for
> > > half an
> > > hour (or so), and the theater begins again...
> > >
> > > outgoing connection I can start from this machine without any problems.
> > > What may the reason for such an incredible behavior?
> >
> > I would try upgrading to 3-stable, see:
> >   http://www.freebsd.org/handbook/cutting-edge.html
> I think my 3.4-stable is the most current version?

No, if you've installed from CDrom then you have 3.4-RELEASE, some time
has passed since the release and various fixes have been put into the
source since then, read the URL i sent you and do the upgrade, it may
help.

> > In the future it's much more helpful if you can include such
> > information as which ethernet card you're using and perhaps
> > what other system components you have installed as well as
> > the motherboard type.
>
> The system is an i486DX2-66,
> HiNT motherboard (EISA), Y2K compliant
> 32MB RAM (8x4MB)
> eth0 => vx0 => 3c597 (3Com Fast-Etherlink III - EISA)

it looks like guido@freebsd.org is the writer/maintainer of the driver,
you may want to toss him an mail directly and describe the problem.

> disk-controller: AHA-2742AT (twin-channel aic7xxx compatible with floppy
> port)
> two scsi-disks (both id0, on different channels)
> yamaha cdr-200 on id 1, channel B (primary)
> Spea-V7 1MB VL vga card
> 8-bit I/O-card for mouse

Lastly, are you sure you don't have some sort of power-management
or APM on?  I'm kinda grasping at straws here, but 30 minutes seems
to be a nice round number for APM/power-management.