Date:      Fri, 5 Jul 1996 13:57:49 -0700 (MST)
From:      Terry Lambert <terry@lambert.org>
To:        gpalmer@FreeBSD.ORG (Gary Palmer)
Cc:        ron@infi.net, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: SysAdmin Tools - ideas wanted

> Hrm. I have a bunch of mail sat in my mailbox on this subject. It's a
> very interesting subject to deal with properly. I think I can say now
> that you're heading down the wrong road. A tcl/tk front end, while
> nice, doesn't provide the facilities needed IMHO, unless you TOTALLY
> separate the tcl end out so that it can be run standalone from the
> command line, and in a batch operation mode (i.e. non-interactive).

Yes yes yes.

The GUI/text/sysadm/etc. front end should be totally seperate from
the database manipulation tools invoked to back-end the administration.

I'd like to see one program for a front end, and multiple tools
that get invoked as a result of front end manipulation.

Tcl/tk are OK for the fornt end tool, but not the backend implementation.

> If you want to wait a few days, I can start up an e-mail dialogue with
> you on this ... I'm a bit busy working on the release of 2.1.5 at the
> minute.

Jordan has some stuff to say on this as well (I assume he's busy too).

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---
or previous employers.