Date:      Sun, 09 May 1999 22:39:47 -0600
From:      Brett Glass <brett@lariat.org>
To:        "Francisco Reyes" <freyes@inch.com>, "FreeBSd Chat list" <chat@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Ethernet card with TCP stack built in

A NIC does take a lot of cycles, but there isn't much on that Web
site to back up the somewhat fantastic claims of 1000x performance
improvement. Also, it's not clear whether the cards are cost-effective,
because they sell at such a fantastically high price.

I've thought for years about implementing a TCP/IP stack in a
coprocessor board -- even prototyped a dedicated PPP board.
Could never convince myself that I could sell enough of them
to break even, though.

--Brett Glass