Date:      Fri, 29 Feb 2008 06:50:45 -0600
From:      Alec Kloss <alec-dated-1204721446.ad1d16@SetFilePointer.com>
To:        Tomas Olsson <tol@stacken.kth.se>
Cc:        afs@FreeBSD.org, Robert Watson <rwatson@FreeBSD.org>, Alec Kloss <alec-keyword-freebsd.org.a6e2e4@SetFilePointer.com>
Subject:   Re: PERFORCE change 136345 for review (fwd)

--L6iaP+gRLNZHKoI4

On 2008-02-29 08:08, Tomas Olsson wrote:
> Good idea, maybe an odd place to put it -- unexpected side effect given
> the file/macro name. On the other hand, I have no idea where I would put
> it.

Putting it next to vnode_if.h seems to make sense.  Having
vnode_if.h where it is in arla seems a little odd.  I guess I'd
consider moving both down to somewhere like nnpfs/sys or
nnpfs/kernel or something.  But that's all pretty much just
cosmetics.

> The beautiful long term solution may be adding some kind of lightweight
> 'generate headers' target for the kernel build so external projects
> don't need to reinvent the wheel? Or maybe arla is just a very strange
> one.

Yeah, glancing at the kernel build itself, there's bold symlink
just like what I did;

lrwxr-xr-x  1 root  wheel  25 Jan 25 18:43 machine -> /usr/src/sys/i386/inc=
lude

It would be nice if either the kernel sources would have
/usr/src/sys/i386/machine or /usr/src/sys/i386/include/machine
instead of ending in include *or* as you suggest a
make-kernel-headers in the kernel itself would be nice and it could
do the symlinking, vnode_if.awk'ing, etc. for people.  But if this
works for you, and Robert doesn't object, let's go with it. =20

Robert, any thoughts?  And do you want me to take a whack at
merging nnpfs into the kernel build this weekend?  I'd be jumping
right into the deep end, but that's how you learn to swim, right?

--=20
Alec Kloss  alec@SetFilePointer.com   IM: angryspamhater@yahoo.com
PGP key at http://pgp.mit.edu:11371/pks/lookup?op=3Dget&search=3D0xA241980E
"No Bunny!" -- Simon, from Frisky Dingo