Date:      Sun, 15 Apr 2001 22:01:07 +0200
From:      Joachim =?iso-8859-1?Q?Str=F6mbergson?= <watchman@ludd.luth.se>
To:        Dima Dorfman <dima@unixfreak.org>
Cc:        doc@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Suggested adendum to FAQ section 3.22

Aloha!

Dima Dorfman wrote:
> > Analysis of my faulty ways:
> > ---------------------------
> > (1) I had used -O3 optimization for the last version of system upgrade.
> > Yes, this is BAD. No, it won't happen again. This could very well be the
> > reason for the behaviour.
> >
> > (2) I update the cvs-tree and make buildworld on a weekly basis, but
> > update the system very much more rarely. The kernel however have been
> > updated due to added HW and such things. Since the kernel sources have
> > been updated, some problems due to kernel and system is out of sync
> > might be responsible.
>
> I understand where you're coming from with this, but I don't think
> it's appropriate to try to document every possible mode of failure.
> That's sort of like documenting the fact that the network cable must
> be plugged in in order for this stuff to work!  If we did that, we'd
> be too busy changing all of the questions with the latest way to break
> the system instead of writing new and more useful documents.
>
> The answer attempts to describe the most common solution to the stated
> problem as derived from reading -questions.  It can't possibly mention
> every single thing that could go wrong, and mentioning just some of
> the more obscure things isn't going to help anything.  I understand
> that it might help a few other people, but I simply don't think it's
> worth it.

I'm fully aware that the FAQ or any other documentation can't cover all
possible problems - and wouldn't suggest such thing. My thought was
simply that the current wording of the section was pretty strong. I
simply wanted to suggest adding some "make sure that... (in this case
system in sync, compiled correctly - which probably is a good first
start for bug hunting in general)" with an appropriate reference to
section this or that. Just as a protection from confusion (*).

I might be extremly goofy and lame to end up with a system which had the
problems I had. Life have so far taught me though, that generally
speaking you are rarely half as unique as you might think - including
goofiness, stupidity and lameness.

The most probable and common problem with slow connection of SSH and
Telnet would be DNS failure? Ok, I'll by that.

(*) In Swedish commonly known as a "Brasklapp". Have no idea what the
appropriate Englisg word would be though. The term usually implies
writing something as a way to pretect you from bad things IF something
not forseen happens.. or to that effect. (**)

(**) Yes, very FreeBSD off topic. .-)

--
Cheers!
Joachim - Alltid i harmonisk svängning