Date:      Fri, 6 Apr 2001 09:20:03 +0200
From:      Erik Trulsson <ertr1013@student.uu.se>
To:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Re: cvsupped to RELENG_4 but got 4.3-RC

On Fri, Apr 06, 2001 at 01:13:32AM -0500, Nate Dannenberg wrote:
> On Wed, 4 Apr 2001, Brian D. Woodruff wrote:
>
> > Hi gang -
> >
> > I quickly learned that RC is for Release Candidate, which would inticate to
> > me that it's somewhere between CURRENT and RELEASE, but nowhere near STABLE!!
>
> Actually, you got just what you wanted.  See below:
>
> > 1.) is there a way to specify 4.2-STABLE, which is what I have been using?
>
> You specify it by using the RELENG_4 tag as you just did.
>
> The way I've learned it is like this:
>
> Every time you fetch the source code via CVSup, you are getting the latest
> developments and code adjustments in the branch you are fetching.  In your
> case (and the rest of us on this mailing list I hope), that's the 4-STABLE
> branch, and it's probably as stable as you can get while staying more or
> less close to the leading edge.
>
> The 4-STABLE branch is the working name for the branch of code considered
> to be, you guessed it, stable.  Conversely, the -CURRENT branch might be
> anything but stable on any given day.  You could think of it as a "wide
> alpha" for FreeBSD v5.0.
>
> That -STABLE branch is the code base used to create the different
> -RELEASE, -BETA, and -RC stages that you've discovered.  Each is pretty
> much a timed snapshot of the -STABLE branch, taken at various times.
>
> The -BETA and -RC stages are indicators of how close we are to the next
> minor version (4.3 versus 4.2), and are generally taken several weeks
> prior to release time.  The last -RC stage (-RC2 this time, I believe)
> lasts for two or three weeks, and if all is well, is snapshotted and named
> 4.3-RELEASE (this is what you get from a binary-only CD or FTP install).

So far it is correct.

> I guess the 4-STABLE branch will always be 4-STABLE (regardless of the
> minor version number or the current snapshot's name) until it merges with
> (or is replaced by) 5-CURRENT.  At that point, it would probably be
> renamed to 5-STABLE, and 6-CURRENT will probably be started as a separate
> branch.

This is not quite right. 4-STABLE will always be 4-STABLE, just like we
still have 3-STABLE and 2.2-STABLE. (Although the latter don't really see
any changes these days.)

What will happen is that eventually 5-CURRENT will be branched into
5-STABLE from which a 5.0-RELEASE snapshot will be made. Once the 5-STABLE
branch has been created -CURRENT will be known as 6-CURRENT.

> I'm sure someone will correct me where I've messed this description up ;)

Of course :-)

--
<Insert your favourite quote here.>
Erik Trulsson