Date:      Thu, 24 Dec 2009 14:06:48 +0000
From:      Marwan Sultan <dead_line@hotmail.com>
To:        <freebsd@edvax.de>
Cc:        FreeBSD Questions <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   RE: After freebsd-update - all went wrong.

Hi Poly=2C

=20

 Its very short story=2C

 my system is on FreeBSD 7.2- P4

 and everything works great. Yes I have custom kernel=2C mainly for quotas.

=20

 I have run freebsd-update fetch and install=2C I forgot its only for gener=
ic kernel.

=20

 However=2C after the freebsd-update fetch/install done=2C i restarted my s=
erver

 then its down. Down means:

  its not connected to the internet because

 1- it couldnot read the default route and couldnot recognize its ip addres=
s.

 2- restored to the orginal GENERIC kernel.

=20

 well=2C I have fixed problem two by installing back my custom kernel.

 but the system still ignores the "defaultroute" command in rc.conf

 this is why we have manuly added to the rc.local

=20

 No=2C I have not overwrite any files=2C and everything works great=2C unti=
l i ran freebsd-update

 on my custom kernel by mistake.

=20

 But eventho it shouldnot touch rc.conf right?

=20

 my rc.local now has

route add default 66.xx.x.x
ifconfig em0 66.xx.x.x netmask 255.255.255.255 alias

=20

If i take it off=2C system will not have any defaultroute anymore although =
its in rc.conf

defaultrouter=3D"66.xx.x.x"
hostname=3D"xxxxxx.com"
ifconfig_em0=3D"inet 66.xx.x.x netmask 255.255.255.0"
=20

 Thank you.

> Subject: Re: After freebsd-update - all went wrong.
>=20
> On Thu=2C 24 Dec 2009 13:31:13 +0000=2C Marwan Sultan <dead_line@hotmail.=
com> wrote:
> > i'm on FreeBSD 7.2-R p4
> > I just applied :
> > # freebsd-update fetch
> > # freebsd-update install
> > with no problems
>=20
> Later you mentioned that you run a custom kernel=2C
> especially for inclusion of quota. When using the
> freebsd-update tool=2C you have to pay extra attention
> to custom kernel - it usually just works for the
> GENERIC kernel without any modifications=2C that's
> what this tool primarily is intended for.
>=20
>=20
>=20
> > After i restarted the server
> > i lost my ssh connection=2C server went down!
>=20
> Server down OR "just" no connection?
>=20
>=20
>=20
> > I have contacted the hosting company=2C and after investigation
> > they informed me that for some reason system is ignoring the
> > "defaulroute" command in rc.conf
> > So they had manualy add the defaultroute to rc.local !!
>=20
> The use of rc.local is still possible=2C but deprecated=3B
> it's mostly a means for backward compatibility.
>=20
> Furthermore=2C I don't see a "defaulroute" setting (not
> command per se) in /etc/rc.conf (and /etc/defaults/rc.conf
> for completeness)=3B only things found are:
>=20
> defaultrouter=3D"NO" # Set to default gateway (or NO).
> ipv6_defaultrouter=3D"NO" # Set to IPv6 default gateway (or NO).
> #ipv6_defaultrouter=3D"2002:c058:6301::" # Use this for 6to4 (RFC 3068)
>=20
> Is this what you mean?
>=20
> Are you sure you didn't overwrite any important configuration
> file=2C like /etc/hosts=2C /etc/resolv.conf or even rc.conf?
>=20
>=20
>=20
> > And after this small workaround=2C I found out users quota is not runni=
ng
> > So i figured that its ignoring the default kernel.
>=20
> No=2C the GENERIC kernel just doesn't include quota
> functionality.
>=20
>=20
>=20
> > I have recompiled my custom kernel..
> > Now quotas working!
>=20
> Of course=2C yours seems to include it.
>=20
>=20
> > and system still=20
> [...]

 		 	   		 =20
Hotmail: Free=2C trusted and rich email service.
http://clk.atdmt.com/GBL/go/171222984/direct/01/=