Date:      Tue, 18 Jul 2000 15:52:36 -0500
From:      Mark.Hummel@hurlburt.af.mil
To:        FreeBSD-Questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   RE: David Makes a Good Point (I have a question about compiling t he kernel)

David,

Good point.  Here's my spin.  FreeBSD is dependent, among other things, on
the 3-11 rule of marketing.  That is for every person who feels welcomed and
helped, will share their positive experience with at least 3 other people
(some of whom will probably be complaining about their other non-operating
system).  FreeBSD then gets a very positive reputation because the gurus are
patient and kind. On the other hand, for every person who leaves this forum
unsatisfied or of the perception they were slammed by a more knowledgeable
people, will share with at least 11 other people and FreeBSD's reputation is
hurt just a little bit.

With my current level of knowledge, I don't help newbies much, but I can
promote FreeBSD because I understand Open Source Software Development and
the type of people who've dedicated themselves to it.  Jim did a great job
referring Andrew to the handbook -- he wasn't snotty or condescending just
straight forward and helpful.  Thanks to you both, one day, I hope to know
as much.

Keep the faith.

Mark