Date:      Fri, 14 Jun 1996 07:51:13 -0400
From:      Branson Matheson <branson@widomaker.com>
To:        Chris Odom <chris@digitech.net>
Cc:        "'questions@freebsd.org'" <questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: telnet to freebsd box, says connected but never says "login:"

--------

Chris Odom uttered with conviction:

>	I just got my FreeBSD 2.1 box on our local ethernet.  I can ping it.  W
hen I telnet to it,
>it says "Connected to x.x.x.x", but it never says "login:".
>	I also get the same problem with FTP.  It connects, but it never gets p
ast that point so that
>I can login.
>	Appears as if inetd is having trouble starting up the appropriate serve
r for whatever port I
>happen to connect to?

 Sounds like the servers are not spawning.. so here are a couple of tests:

 1. telnet to the 23 port... if you get the sendmail banner.... then it is
	able to spawn. You should be able to spawn new processes. If not
	you need to check and see how many are running and how many are
	configured in the kernel. You should also check and see how many
	pty's are configured in the kernel. And last but not least make sure
	that there is room in the root directory. The generic kernel config has
	only 16 ptys.

 1.5	Make sure that inetd is running

 2. login to the non-spawning machine at the console and then have someone
	try to telnet... watch the processes using top and see if telnetd
	gets spawned... It sounds like it is. If not... use 'netstat -a' and
	see if you get a line like :

tcp        0      0  *.telnet               *.*                    LISTEN

     If this line does not exist, check for blank lines in /etc/services...
	there should NOT be any. if you kick inetd ( 'kill -HUP' inetd's pid )
	and then look at the log files ( /var/log/messages ) any errors should
	be reported there.

 3. Check and make sure that login is getting spawned... it sounds like it is
	not... you will want to check and make sure that login is working by
	running it from the command line. You should get the normal login prompt
	and have to enter a password.

 How about a reply with what you are finding.

 Good Luck!

 -branson
 Branson Matheson       | Ferguson Enterprises  | If Pete and Repeat were
 System Administrator   | W: (804) 874-7795     | sittin on a fence and Pete
 Unix, Perl, WWW        | branson@widomaker.com | fell off, who is left?