Date:      Mon, 25 Feb 2002 14:49:47 -0800
From:      "Crist J. Clark" <cjc@FreeBSD.ORG>
To:        Ramit Bhalla <ramit.bhalla@wipro.com>
Cc:        FreeBSD Net <freebsd-net@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Extent of IPv6 support.

On Mon, Feb 25, 2002 at 06:50:58PM +0530, Ramit Bhalla wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm developing a IPv6 stack for VxWorks and since the VxWorks stack is based
> upon the FreeBSD stack ( smart choice! ) I think the best way to go is to
> use the FreeBSD implementation.
>
> I needed some help in identifing the incomplete modules/unsupported modules.
>
> Since this product is going to be a router product, I was hoping someone
> could outline which modules are complete/incomplete and which ones are
> un-supported as of now.
>
> For instance advanced stuff like Border Gateway protocol,

See RFC2545.

> SNMP,

There is nothing about SNMP that ties it to any particular network
protocol. You can run it over UDP in IPv6 just the same as you do in
IPv4. (Hell, you can run SNMP over AppleTalk or IPX.)

> firewalling

On a FreeBSD box, see ip6fw(8).

> etc - do they support IPv6 ??

As I have pointed out, the _protocols_ will do fine. OTOH, finding
_products_ and applications that run these protocols over IPv6 might
be a little harder.

> Another thing I couldn't understand is that there are 2 branches, netinet
> and netinet6, but both of them support IPv6, what's the difference ?

They are not really "two" branches. Most of the IPv6 specific code is
in netinet6. There is IPv6 code in netinet where there is
interoperability between the two. Most of the IPv6 code you see in
netinet is for the transport layer stuff. Duplicating the TCP and UDP
code in both would present an opportunity for drift and be difficult
to maintain.