Date:      Mon, 21 May 2001 04:10:05 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Brian Somers <brian@Awfulhak.org>
To:        freebsd-bugs@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: kern/27474: Interactive use of user PPP and ipfilter can be insecure

The following reply was made to PR kern/27474; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: Brian Somers <brian@Awfulhak.org>
To: jsnader@ix.netcom.com
Cc: freebsd-gnats-submit@FreeBSD.ORG, brian@Awfulhak.org
Date: Mon, 21 May 2001 12:00:27 +0100

 > >Number:         27474
 > >Category:       kern
 > >Synopsis:       Interactive use of user PPP and ipfilter can be insecure

 I think that users of ppp with any sort of ipf or ipfw stuff should
 be very careful if they're not running with a ``-unit N'' command
 line as the only way to get things right is to install the rules from
 either ppp.conf or ppp.linkup using the INTERFACE macro (which of
 course requires root invocation as ppp invokes commands as the
 real user for security reasons).

 For people running ``ppp -unit 100 ...'' (for example), the best way
 to get things to work is to ensure that the interface is made
 available before ipf/ipfw are run with something like

 kldload tun
 touch /dev/tun100

 This can probably be done from /etc/start_if.tun100 after adding
 tun100 to the $network_interfaces variable in rc.conf - but I'm not
 100% sure the startup ordering will let this work.  The alternative
 with ipfw (given that everyone side-steps /etc/rc.firewall) is to
 just invoke these commands at the start of your ipfw load script.  I
 don't know about ipf (I've never used it).

 Of course I'll never really understand why users of ppp(8) don't just
 use the -nat option or the ``set filter'' commands and do away with
 ipf/ipfw....  I guess ipfw gives more flexibility, but I'm not sure
 that ipf has anything that libalias doesn't.
 --
 Brian <brian@Awfulhak.org>                        <brian@[uk.]FreeBSD.org>
       <http://www.Awfulhak.org>;                   <brian@[uk.]OpenBSD.org>