Date:      Sat, 25 Nov 2006 19:29:44 -0500 (EST)
From:      doug <doug@fledge.watson.org>
To:        Erik Norgaard <norgaard@locolomo.org>
Cc:        FreeBSD Questions <questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: ACPI: Standby, sleep, suspend and resume

On Sat, 25 Nov 2006, Erik Norgaard wrote:

> Hi:
>
> I have the following sysctl parameters:
>
> hw.acpi.supported_sleep_state: S3 S4 S5
> hw.acpi.power_button_state: S5
> hw.acpi.sleep_button_state: S3
> hw.acpi.lid_switch_state: NONE
> hw.acpi.standby_state: S1
> hw.acpi.suspend_state: S3
> hw.acpi.sleep_delay: 1
>
> First, I'd like that the screen is switched off when the lid closes, so I
> assume that I should set hw.acpi.lid_switch_state to something, but I don't
> know what.
>
> Second: Is there a way to manually toggle the sleep state so I can create a
> menu item "sleep" or "standby"?
>
> Last: When the laptop goes into some suspend mode - I don't know which - I
> don't know how to bring it back alive except for rebooting. What is the
> secret key combination? (typically).
>
> Thanks, Erik

These are my settings. This is for a thinkpad T42p, your settings may be
slightly different.

sysctl:

    hw.acpi.supported_sleep_state: S3 S4 S5
    hw.acpi.power_button_state: S5
    hw.acpi.sleep_button_state: S3
    hw.acpi.lid_switch_state: NONE
    hw.acpi.standby_state: S1
    hw.acpi.suspend_state: S3
    hw.acpi.sleep_delay: 3

/boot/loader.conf

    snd_ich_load="YES"
    if_ipw_load="YES"
    wlan_load="YES"
    wlan_wep_load="YES"
    acpi_ibm_load="YES"   <---- for thinkpad

If I close the lid the T42p goes to standby, opening wakes up. The sleep button
fn-F4 does a suspend, again opening the lid does a resume. I have not figured
out suspend to disk but for my purposes suspend draws power so slowly, I have
not bothered.

It may be that you do need something set for hw.acpi.lid_switch_state, I do not.
Resume does not correctly redraw the X-windows background, but it writing this I
noticed I put:

     notify 10 {
           match "system"          "ACPI";
           match "subsystem"       "Lid";
           action "/usr/X11R6/bin/xrandr -display :0.0 -s 0";
     };

inside of the comments in /etc/devd.conf.

I got most of my information from:

    http://www.cs.ucr.edu/~trep/tsrT40freebsd.html
    google
    various Linux sites talking about thinkpads