Date:      Fri, 01 Aug 1997 21:02:15 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Simon Shapiro <Shimon@i-Connect.Net>
To:        Michael Smith <msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au>
Cc:        FreeBSD-Hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Kernel howto, Second Request

Hi Michael Smith;  On 02-Aug-97 you wrote:

> Simon Shapiro stands accused of saying:
> [Charset iso-8859-8 unsupported, filtering to ASCII...]
> > Old, unanswered question:
>
> I responded to these.  Let me know if you didn't get the rsponse, but
> more importantly _why_ do you want them?

I didn't get the response :-(
I do not want these.  I need them.  The DPT raid manager requires these.
They do not do anything dramatic with them, but the application (originally
DOS) expects them in reply to an IOCTL.

> > Next Question:  What is the equivalent of SysV physmap()?
> >     Physmap takes a physical memory address and returns a virtual
> address.
> > I am trying to access certain memory location only known by physical
> > addresses.
>
> Are you trying to perform this operation in userspace or in the
> kernel?  Do you know the the physical address range in question has
> been mapped yet?  If it has, by whom?  If not, then you will need to
> establish a mapping, which will give you this information.

Kernel, of course.  The addresses are all BIOS data pages and the DPT
BIOS and firmware addresses.  The code is really, really not portable
(I am being very kind with my words here :-)  If I an have the values
for the struct, I will gladly avoid writing all these nasty inb/outb
and funny memory accesses.

I really do not knowif this memory has been mapped or not.  What I need
to do is probe certain location, in BIOS ranges for certain signatures.
This probing should not be destructive.

Simon