Date:      Wed, 28 Oct 2009 09:54:01 +0000
From:      "b. f." <bf1783@googlemail.com>
To:        freebsd@t41t.com
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: gcc -pg and ld error, "cannot find -lgcc_p"

>> >  Use sysinstall to add the proflibs distribution.
>>
>>       Or one could rebuild/install world (and kernel if necessary)
>> after investigating the "NO_PROFILE" option in /etc/make.conf.
>
>There's only a PERL_VERSION in make.conf. Since sysinstall doesn't work
>(this is -p4, not a base media install), how does one go about installing
>proflibs? I didn't see anything related to proflibs in the csup files.

If no corresponding binary distribution is available, and
/usr/lib/libgcc_p.a and the other profiled libraries are not installed
on your system, then you'll have to build them from source.  Install
the proper versions of the base system sources, if you don't already
have them.  Make sure that WITHOUT_PROFILE, NO_PROFILE, and NOPROFILE
are not defined in your build environment, or in any included
makefiles like /etc/make.conf or /etc/src.conf, and that MK_PROFILE is
not defined to be "no" in those places, either.  Then rebuild and
reinstall world and kernel, as described in /usr/src/UPDATING.  Or, if
you know what you're doing, you can build and install only the needed
libraries by hand.  Most of the profiled libraries are automatically
built along with their non-profiled counterparts by commands in
/usr/share/mk/bsd.lib.mk.

b.