Date:      13 Dec 1998 16:50:00 -0200
From:      Alexandre Oliva <oliva@dcc.unicamp.br>
To:        FreeBSD Questions <freebsd@netsys.hn>
Cc:        "freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG" <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>, "amanda-users@amanda.org" <amanda-users@amanda.org>
Subject:   Re: I cannot get to work Amanda on my tape

On Dec 13, 1998, FreeBSD Questions <freebsd@netsys.hn> wrote:

> -- [ From: FreeBSD Questions * EMC.Ver #2.5.02 ] --

>> Are you sure `chg-manual' is the tape changer you want?  Have you properly
>> configured the tape devices in amanda.conf and in the tape changer
>> configuration file?  What if you run `mt' commands on the tape  device
>> directly?

> I'm not sure about that. I don't have any changer (I think..). I have not
> configured properly my tape device in amanda.conf because I don't know which
> TAPETYPE to use with my HP Colorado T4000s TRAVAN drive.

This is a completely different issue.  The tape device is something
Amanda needs to takl to the tape device; the tapetype is used for
calculating the amount of space you can store in the tape drive.  You
can create a new tapetype, if you wish.  But the first thing you have
to do is to figure out which device `mt' is talking to by default, and
list that device in `tapedev', in amanda.conf.  You should also
comment out all tapechanger-related flags from amanda.conf, since you
don't have a tape changer.

--
Alexandre Oliva  http://www.dcc.unicamp.br/~oliva  aoliva@{acm.org}
oliva@{dcc.unicamp.br,gnu.org,egcs.cygnus.com,samba.org}