Date:      Sat, 06 Oct 2001 12:27:46 -0600
From:      Warner Losh <imp@harmony.village.org>
To:        Michael Sierchio <kudzu@tenebras.com>
Cc:        "'freebsd-question@freebsd.org'" <freebsd-question@FreeBSD.ORG>, "'freebsd-stable@freebsd.org'" <freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Release difference ?

In message <3BBF3BC4.C92854D6@tenebras.com> Michael Sierchio writes:
: could you cite the charter or a reference to it?  Thanks.

No, I can't.  That was the recollections of me and Jordan when we set
things up.  Jordan approves the extremely critical fixes, while Kris
Kennaway does the Security ones (or members of the seccurity team).
Fixes have to be in the Oh My God league, however.  I've seen a total
of 1 of them that was also security related since we started doing
this.

Ordinary fixes don't go into that branch.  Its primary purpose is for
security related fixes.  While there was some talk of calling it
-SECURITY, we'll continue to call it 4.4-RELEASE and add -pN, like we
did for 4.3.  Sure, other methods may be better, but they a) likely
aren't better enough and b) would be a huge bikeshed (again) if we
opened the floor up for themm.

Warner