Date:      Tue, 15 Feb 2000 21:28:40 -0600 (CST)
From:      Joe Greco <jgreco@ns.sol.net>
To:        brooks@one-eyed-alien.net (Brooks Davis)
Cc:        jwm@CSUA.Berkeley.EDU, brooks@one-eyed-alien.net, peter@netplex.com.au, jgreco@ns.sol.net, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Filesystem size limit?

> On Tue, Feb 15, 2000 at 06:27:03PM -0800, John Milford wrote:
> > Brooks Davis <brooks@one-eyed-alien.net>  wrote:

> > > There should be.  The digital library people are talking about tens of
> > > petabytes per site and that's probably just the beginning.  I think
> > > they ordered a petabyte scale array earlier this year.  Obviously we'd
> > > like FreeBSD to be able to play with those. ;-)
> >
> > 	Ok, what I was getting at is that 1TB is a very large
> > single filesystem, but I can understand as time goes by this will
> > become more important.   If it is omething that will really help
> > peolple I would be willing to try to do something to fix it, but
> > if these types of filesystems are not within reach now, then it
> > may be a better use of effort to wait on this issue.
>
> Joe seem to want one.  This size is certaintly within the reach of an
> ISP now, and disks just keep getting bigger.  My administrative bias is
> that partitioning for a reason other then policy should be avoided and
> thus I'd love to see filesystem size support keep ahead of volume sizes
> where possiable.  That said, unless someone gives me a very substantial
> amount of money to build a cluster at work, I'm not going to be building
> any TB file systems for a few more years.

Well, I just wanted the thrill of it.

I should be building additional machines throughout the year.  If anyone is
seriously interested in work on terabyte filesystem issues, I may be able
to shanghai one for a month or two and provide access to it.  I may even be
able to push it over the 2TB mark (barely).  I do not have the
qualifications or need to be doing this myself, though, alas.

72GB disks will be available later this year.  Expect 2.6TB servers.  :-)

... Joe