Date:      Sat, 8 Jun 1996 11:59:21 +0200 (MET DST)
From:      grog@lemis.de (Greg Lehey)
To:        otto@hol.gr (Syntichakis Christopher)
Subject:   File systems on floppies (Was: no subject)

Syntichakis Christopher writes:

>  (many empty lines omitted)
> Hi,
> I am trying to format some 3.5 HD disks for use with the FreeBSD 2.1
> I tried the following procedure:
>
> # fdformat -f1440 /dev/fd0.1440
> (works fine but sometimes it reports some errors like:
>
> fd0: input ready timeout
>
> NOTE that under X11 it works without any error)
>
> # disklabel -w -r /dev/fd0.1440 floppy3
> (works ok too..)
>
> # newfs /dev/fd0.1440
> (reports these errors)
> Warning: Block size and bytes per inode restrict cylinders per group to 5.
> Warning: 1216 sector(s) in last cylinder unallocated
> /dev/rfd0.1440: 2880 sectors in 1 cylinders of 1 tracks, 4096 sectors
>         1.4MB in 1 cyl groups (5 c/g, 10.00MB/g, 4448 i/g)
> super-block backups (for fsck -b #) at:
>  32,
>
> So , the 3,5" HD disk has only 851968 bytes free....
>
> Any ideas ?

Yes.

1.  Please specify a subject in your messages, or nobody will read them.
2.  The way I got this message, it consisted mainly of empty lines.
    It was about 3 times as long as it needed to be.  If this is in
    your control, please omit the empty lines in the future.  If it
    isn't, consider using a different mailer.
3.  Get the disk install document from
    ftp://freefall.FreeBSD.org/incoming/disks.ps.gz and read it.  It
    will tell you how to get more storage in a file system on a
    floppy.  It will also tell you why you don't want to do it.

Greg