Date:      Wed, 22 Nov 2000 09:33:43 -0500 (EST)
From:      Matthew George <mdg@mdgnet.org>
To:        noor@comrax.com
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: ipfw/natd

The issues present in such a scenario are by no means easy to deal with.

First, divert sockets do not do what you think they do.  You will find it
easiest to use natd in order to redirect packets to another address.  Just
add '-f /etc/natd.conf' to your flags when you call natd.  In natd.conf,
use the redirect lines redirect_[port|proto|address] as defined in
natd(8).  Note that this will need to be done on a separate firewall box
in front of your servers.

Second, whether or not you will be able to make your databases fault
tolerant in the event of a server failure will ultimately depend on what
database platform you are running.  Your db must internally support
replication. The servers would keep themselves in sync with each other,
attempting to maintain consistent copies of the database on each.  This
feature is most often found in enterprise class databases.  Your best bet
would be to install a server with your SQL server and an empty
schema.  In the event of a failure, you can copy the data into your
standby server from your most recent backup (or the production server's
disk if you can still get to it) and enable the redirection as above.  It
is often helpful to have enough knowledge of the data to determine what
data is essential to the successful operation of the system.  Usually you
can minimize downtime by copying in this data first, restoring services,
and then migrating nonessential data in while the system is running.