Date:      Thu, 26 Feb 1998 21:09:51 -0800
From:      Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>
To:        sthaug@nethelp.no
Cc:        mike@smith.net.au, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: "Best" Fast Ethernet Card

> > > One *great* bonus is it will do IP, TCP and UDP checksums automagically
> > > in hardware!
> >
> > Oh great.  This card was designed *explicitly* for Windows systems,
> > where they think it's funny for the network adapter driver to know
> > enough about the protocol layer to manage junk like this.
>
> Probably not. More likely it was simply meant to give lower CPU usage,
> given the right modifications to the TCP/IP stack. If you check the new
> Gigabit Ethernet cards that are becoming available, you'll find *most*
> of them will do IP checksum on-chip.

It's odd then that these cards should be surfacing after NDIS 5 made
checksum calculations a feature of the NIC driver, no?

> I've included below a recent Usenet article by Craig Partridge which
> explains some of the things that can be done to speed up BSD TCP/IP.
> You'll note that he explicitly mentions hardware checksums.

Sure.  However I think the point here is that you can only do hardware
checksums efficiently if you collapse the protocol stack to the point
where code has access to both the hardware and then TCP layer.

That's expedient, and fast, but potentially *very* ugly.  It also
raises the issue of fragment reassembly.

Should you take it into your head to actually implement any of these
features, I'm sure we'd be happy to test & integrate them.  Note that
the stuff about hardware checksumming is a bit of a handwave; it'd be
nice if things were that simple, but I can't help thinking that the COW
overhead would be worse than the checksum cost for, eg. a telnet
session's outbound traffic.