Date:      Fri, 2 Aug 2002 17:12:14 -0500
From:      David Kelly <dkelly@hiwaay.net>
To:        David Wolfskill <david@catwhisker.org>
Cc:        johan.bjork@qbrick.com, stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Tracking -Stable on several machines?

On Fri, Aug 02, 2002 at 05:29:51AM -0700, David Wolfskill wrote:
> >Date: Fri, 02 Aug 2002 11:31:47 +0200
> >From: =?ISO-8859-1?Q?Johan_Bj=F6rk?= <johan.bjork@qbrick.com>
[...]
> OK... but I recommend that you do this by actually mirroring the CVS
> repository itself, rather than using CVSup to update /usr/src directly.

I agree. You will need about 2G these days for a /home/ncvs/ but if this
is an important server farm then the increased independence and
flexibility should be worth the cheap disk space.

> If you do this, you will be able to create a /usr/src as of any branch &
> date/time -- you can track any such branch, all with the same CVS repo;
> /usr/src would just be a normal CVS "working directory" (as would
> /usr/ports).

In years past the de driver was going thru major changes and giving my
version 0 21040 card fits. For a while, was able to keep the old version
and update everything else via CVS. Recently gphoto 2.0 worked but 2.1
did not. Was easy to revert my personal copy of
/usr/ports/graphics/gphoto2 and once again suck pictures off my camera.

One other thing from the original message, IMO updating every day is a
bit excessive. I keep about 10 machines running FreeBSD-stable. About
twice per week I look to see what cvsup has for /usr/src. Or when
FreeBSD-Announce has something earth shattering to say. Same for
/usr/ports, I look to see what of importance to me has changed. Will
cvsup additional times when something isn't working.

On internal machines I use cvs via pserver to update off my mirror CVS
repository.

--
David Kelly N4HHE, dkelly@hiwaay.net