Date:      Wed, 16 Jun 1999 11:14:15 +0200 (MET DST)
From:      Roger Jansen <roger@solair1.inter.NL.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Partitions

Hya,

I'm trying to install FreeBSD on my server. I've got the Walnut Creek
CD-ROM of FBSD 3.0 and went into the installation process. Everything is
rather straight forward, though be it time consuming, to install, except
for one thing.

I've got some problems with setting up the partitions for use with FBSD.

Situation: On the server is currently RedHat 5.2 running. For RedHat I've
setup a number of partitions on HD 1 and a number of partions on HD 2.
The sizes and location of those partitions are the way I would like them
and therefore I would like to keep them. FBSD however doesn't agree --
obviously -- with the linux type partitions.

I've tried to create new slices, but the partition proggie of the FBSD
installation constantly tells me that the HD is full. (Probably because of
the fact that it doesn't recognises the linux partitions).

So I'm stuck with two questions:

1) Is there a possiblility to keep my current partitions, but change their
type to FBSD? If so, how can I do that?

2) If that is not possible, what is the best way to repartion the HD with
the FBSD slices?

Thanks for any help you can give me.

--=Roger=--