Date:      Thu, 21 May 1998 20:05:20 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Garrett Wollman <wollman@khavrinen.lcs.mit.edu>
To:        Philippe Regnauld <regnauld@deepo.prosa.dk>
Cc:        freebsd-security@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   SKey and locked account

<<On Thu, 21 May 1998 18:31:48 +0200, Philippe Regnauld <regnauld@deepo.prosa.dk> said:

> 1) First thing I noticed is that it's possible for someone to log
>    into the system, even if the account is disabled ('*' in the
>    passwd field), when S/Key is enabled for that user.

Having an invalid password in the password file doesn't mean that the
account is disabled; it just means that that user can't use a
plain-text password to log in.  Several of us have invalid passwords
on freefall since we always use an alternative authentication
mechanism like S/Key.

It might not be a bad idea to use the login class mechanism to define
a specific class meaning ``disabled'' -- as distinguished from the
``account expired'' we can already represent in master.passwd.

-GAWollman