Date:      Mon, 02 Dec 1996 00:05:51 -0700
From:      Doug Russell <drussell@internode.net>
To:        Don Yuniskis <dgy@rtd.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: your mail

At 04:10 PM 12/22/96 -0700, Don Yuniskis wrote:

>Easier to just disable the +++ sequence -- change your "escape character".
>I don't like things that are "highly unlikely" -- that tends to mean
>their probability of occuring is damn close to 100%!  :-(

>Yes.  ALso there are other things besides PC's (etc.) in the world
>that actually *use* these signaling conventions!

I totally agree.  The whole idea of using an escape sequence to do something
when there is a proper hardware line already in place to do it is rediculous.

The +++ is handy when you are testing/configuring/troubleshooting a modem or
connection, but beyond that, I'd usually just disable it, especially on a
modem used for one purpose (say a PPP connection) where there's no way you'd
ever want to escape to command mode.  ~~~+++~~~ATH just irks me.  Yuck.

Later......                                             <Doug>