Date:      Sun, 24 Nov 1996 00:51:41 -0600
From:      Jason Hudgins <jasonh@cei.net>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: major system screw-up

>Ouch. This message is mostly one of sympathy, though maybe you can
>find some help in it ...

Thanks for the sympathy.. =>

>As to your original problem, you should still have been able to su
>from your user login. When I su, I end up still using tcsh (my user
>shell), not /bin/csh, which is what root is assigned.

I couldn't su, It would spit out the motd and then bump me back out...I tried
that, and a plethora of other things..

>I think after you changed passwd & master.passwd, you need to run
>pwd_mkdb or somesuch to rebuild the files that are actually
>used. Of course in the normal scheme of things you never edit them
>directly, but instead use vipw.

I've never heard of vipw..is it in the FreeBSD handbook?  If I ever
wanted to add a user, I just used adduser...but aside from that, (though I
know its not recommended) I have never had any problems editing the passwd
files directly..even with PICO!!!

>You're right, /usr is on a different partition than /. You needed also
>to mount /dev/wd0s1 (or something like it). (s == "slice", i
>think). My drive looks like:
>
>   /dev/wd1a on / (local)
>   /dev/wd1s1f on /usr (local)
>   /dev/wd1s1e on /var (local)

This is another problem..I can't find ANY documentation on what device
names actually represent.

>I'd reformat/resintall if that were the case, but that's more my
>inexperience than anything else.

This is probably what I will have to do...to the chagrin of my employers..
Even if I could fix my root problems, etc..My FreeBSD box is now an
amnesiac, and there is no documentation on how to setup the network stuff..
except maybe for PPP connections.  The install always does a nice job of
configuring my network for me. But I would really like to know how to do
it manually.

Overall I love freebsd, it's umm..how would I describe it, more "pure"
than linux or anything else...but its just really easy to trash the
system if you are playing around and trying to learn how things work.

A lot of the ports don't install properly, and the last time I tried to
do a system upgrade it tried to download the entire current distribution
into my small ./ partition which ended up thrashing the whole system.

I know that if I stick to my guns, I'll get the hang of everything, I just
wish in the meantime that I didn't have to do a total reinstall every time
I make a little blunder.

>Good luck
>
>-jay

Thanks!!!