Date:      Sun, 27 May 2001 09:18:06 -0500
From:      Mike Meyer <mwm@mired.org>
To:        BSD Freak <bsd-freak@mbox.com.au>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: IMAP Security

BSD Freak <bsd-freak@mbox.com.au> types:
> I was just wondering does the IMAP protocol suffer the same security
> problems as POP3 (ie cleartext passwords). I noticed that dsniff does
> not pick up IMAP passwords but DOES pick up POP3 passwords. Does this
> mean that IMAP is more secure?

No, it means that the authentication methods your IMAP server is using
is more secure than the ones your POP3 server is using. There are POP3
authentication methods that don't send the password in cleartext, but
not everybody implements those. I believe there are IMAP
authentication methods that send passwords in cleartext, but the
people that do IMAP usually do the more secure methods as well.

	<mike