Date:      Wed, 21 Oct 1998 23:48:03 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Chuck Robey <chuckr@mat.net>
To:        The Hermit Hacker <scrappy@hub.org>
Cc:        freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: How to strip a kernel in 3.0-RELEASE...

On Thu, 22 Oct 1998, The Hermit Hacker wrote:

> Morning...
>
> 	Just had the pleasure of installing 3.0-RELEASE on a new drive,
> and just hit something unexpected...'strip -d kernel' just doesn't seem to
> work anymore :)
>
> 	What is the current method of doign this?  Looking at the man
> pages between the old and new strip, I suspect just:
>
> 	strip --strip-debug kernel
>
> 	But is there another that I want to do too?  According to the old,
> -d did both debugging and 'empty' symbols...

Kernel's still aout ... try this:

env OBJFORMAT=aout strip -d kernel

That'll work.

Have you checked out how the system deals with dual sets of build tools?
This is probably boring to most, but I think it's the keenest thing, the
way that stuff that needs to be aout or elf depending on the setting of
OBJFORMAT exists in /usr/libexec/elf or /usr/libexec/aout, and the guys
that get called in /usr/bin, like /usr/bin/ld, really just use
/usr/bin/objformat to pick what kind of format you want, then kick off
the real tool for you.

You set /etc/objformat to have a single line, OBJFORMAT=<elf or aout>,
or you use a environmental variable.  The make aout to elf does the
/etc/objformat setting for you, so you can just adjust things
temporarily with the environmental vars very nicely.

Works for ports just as nicely.  Sorry for the lecture, but maybe some
don't know this (and I _am_ impressed by it all!)

213 Lakeside Drive Apt T-1  |
Greenbelt, MD 20770         | I run Journey2 and picnic (FreeBSD-current)
(301) 220-2114              | and jaunt (NetBSD).