Date:      Wed, 24 May 2000 16:10:40 -0500
From:      Matthew Fuller <fullermd@linkfast.net>
To:        Steve Passe <smp@timing.com>
Cc:        Chuck Paterson <cp@bsdi.com>, arch@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Preemptive kernel on older X86 hardware

On Wed, May 24, 2000 at 09:28:16AM -0600, a little birdie told me
that Steve Passe remarked

> We would have no need for SMP on 486 or 586, however losing UP on 486
> would be a problem.

Just as a side point (a fair bit of this discussion is over my head, so
I'm not sure if this is really relevant or not, but...), I would dispute
the second half of the first part above.

While SMP on 586 is certainly not mainstream, I'm sure I'm far from the
only one with a multi-proc 586 machine.  It'd be quite a shame to abandon
that market without at least more looking into the problems that would be
faced in supporting it.

--
Matthew Fuller     (MF4839)     |    fullermd@over-yonder.net
Unix Systems Administrator      |    fullermd@linkfast.net