Date:      Sun, 15 Sep 2002 00:10:52 -0400
From:      Mike Tancsa <mike@sentex.net>
To:        Jim King <jim@jimking.net>
Cc:        freebsd-hardware@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: 3Ware troubles

I ran into a problem like this on a windows box.  The 3ware utils were no
help then to me either.  We ended up imaging the disk to a new one which =
is
probably your best bet with FreeBSD via dump and restore.=20

	---Mike

On Fri, 13 Sep 2002 09:52:57 -0500, in sentex.lists.freebsd.hardware you
wrote:

>I have a 3Ware 6200 with the latest firmware with a pair of drives in a=20
>RAID1 config.  One of the drives flaked out, the 6200 marked the drive=20
>as bad, and kept on running - all is good.  I replaced the failed drive=20
>and tried to rebuild the array, but original drive that's still on the=20
>6200 comes up with a read error towards the end of the disk and the=20
>firmware aborts the rebuild.  Help!
>
>3Ware says the latest 3dm on Windows and Linux has a "force rebuild"=20
>option that will ignore read errors during a rebuild.  Unfortunately it=20
>doesn't look like this option is available from the 3Ware BIOS or from=20
>the FreeBSD version of 3dm.  Does anybody know a trick to initiate a=20
>"force rebuild" short of booting Linux or Windows on the box?
>
>Any other suggestions on recovery?  I'm down to either booting Windows,=20
>rebuilding the array, and then replacing the second flaky drive; or just=
=20
>giving up and doing a complete reinstall (after replacing the flaky =
drive).

>Any comments on FreeBSD's support of 3Ware these days?  It appears that=20
>after Mike Smith left the project no one has done any significant work=20
>(e.g. getting the latest 3dm).  I don't exactly feel comfortable with=20
>the 3Ware/FreeBSD combo any more.
>
>Jim

>with "unsubscribe freebsd-hardware" in the body of the message

Mike Tancsa  (mdtancsa@sentex.net)	=09
Sentex Communications Corp,   	=09
Waterloo, Ontario, Canada
"Given enough time, 100 monkeys on 100 routers=20
could setup a national IP network." (KDW2)