Date:      Wed, 22 Mar 2006 09:58:04 +0100
From:      Erik Norgaard <norgaard@locolomo.org>
To:        rakhesh@rakhesh.com
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: 6.1-BETA 4 stable for normal use?

Rakhesh Sasidharan wrote:

> I'd like to try out FreeBSD and was wondering whether
> I should start with 6.1-BETA4 or 6.0? Its just for
> home use anyways, more as a way to fool around with
> FreeBSD a bit, so was wondering if 6.1-BETA4 would
> suffice for the purpose ... is it stable enough or
> would it give me issues?

I am using 6.1-PRERELEASE which has actually been upgraded from
6.1-BETA3. The system as such is stable, but there are some nuisances.
These are not fatal in any way but may cause confusion. So in particular
if you're new to FreeBSD, better stay with 6.0.

> Also, suppose I were to go with 6.0, is there some way
> I can update to the 6.1 release when its released,
> *without* downloading the CDs etc? Maybe give some
> command which would download the required parts over
> the Internet?

It is fairly easy to upgrade, see the handbook, in fact I had a system
that I had continuously upgraded from a 5.2.1 installation in march 2004
to the 6.1-PRERELEASE. I only reinstalled because I needed to
repartition my disk to get more space available on my /home.

To practice upgrading you can try using the tag RELENG_6_0 - you will
know what that means when you read the handbook. This will keep you on
6.0 but apply the patches that have been committed since the release.

If you later want to upgrade to 6.1 (that branch has not yet been
created) then you just change the tag to RELENG_6_1 and if you want to
move with the head of the 6_STABLE branch then use tag RELENG_6.

Cheers, Erik
--
Ph: +34.666334818                                  web: www.locolomo.org
S/MIME Certificate: www.daemonsecurity.com/ca/8D03551FFCE04F06.crt