Date:      Wed, 31 May 2000 01:20:45 -0700
From:      "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@zippy.cdrom.com>
To:        farid.hajji@ob.kamp.net
Cc:        jkh@freebsd.org, orders@cdrom.com, questions@freebsd.org, asami@freebsd.org, wosch@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Missing distfiles on FreeBSD-4.0 RELEASE CD-ROMs

> Hello Jordan,
>
> is there a way to persuade Walnut-Creek (a.k.a. BSDI) to include the
> distfiles on their next regular FreeBSD-4.X CDs? AFAIK, they were

It's not a question of persuading Walnut CreeK AKA BSDi, it's
a question of persuading me.  I make the CDs. :-)

And the reason I have dropped the distfiles is that there's simply not
enough room to include a meaningful number of them vs the meaningful
number of packages, which include only the components necessary for
installed software and are much smaller on average.  You may not like
the math, but there's no arguing with it.  Packages are also the most
frequently requested items, not distfiles, since the majority of
FreeBSD's users actually prefer to have their software pre-compiled
and you are actually in the minority.  Since I have only 4 CDs's worth
of space to work with, I produce the releases for the majority and
that's why packages have replaced distfiles.  I'm only doing what the
majority of our customers have requested.

If you want distfiles, those are part of the 4.0 FreeBSD Toolkit CD
set which is 6 CDs in size and contains almost every distfile you can
imagine.  It's an increasing challenge to fit an expanding system (and
ports collection) on 4 CDs and the creation of another 6 CD set was
very necessary.

- Jordan