Date:      Wed, 5 Oct 2005 12:55:31 +0200
From:      Herve Quiroz <herve.quiroz@esil.univ-mrs.fr>
To:        Mikhail Teterin <mi+kde@aldan.algebra.com>
Cc:        java@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: port of Java API of db43

On Wed, Oct 05, 2005 at 03:04:15AM -0400, Mikhail Teterin wrote:
> Hello!
>
> Would anybody like to take a look at
>
> 	http://aldan.algebra.com:8015/~mi/java-db4.shar
>
> ? I'm not sure, I got the JAVA_* flags quite right, etc.

One of the portlint complaints is related to Java:

  WARN: Makefile: save for ports directly related to the Java language,
  porters are encouraged not to use ``java'' as the main category for a
  port

Indeed, this port should not use 'java' as its main categroy. I think
'databases' would be a fine choice but that is yours to decide.  Still,
the port needs to hava 'java' among its CATEGORIES (this ports uses
Java) but not as the main one.

The second concern is related to the USE_JAVA=1.4+ statement. I don't
know why you absolutely need to use bsd.java.mk 1.0 syntax here but it
seems like nothing can prevent you from commiting this. So go ahead.
Your port and address will automatically be added to [1] :)

Regarding the JAVA_HOME issue now I think you can go ahead and commit
this but we definitively need to find a fix for that. I need to have a
closer look but at first I didn't see the difference between your test
port and java/jmp. I have some other work on my TODO list for now so it
could take several days before I can give it a shot.

Herve

[1] Java ports monitoring - Java ports using bsd.java.mk 1.0 syntax and
their respective maintainers
http://www.esil.univ-mrs.fr/~hquiroz/freebsd/oldbsdjavamk-maintainers