Date:      Tue, 12 Oct 1999 13:42:40 -0400
From:      Mitch Collinsworth <mkc@Graphics.Cornell.EDU>
To:        Christopher Michaels <ChrisMic@clientlogic.com>
Cc:        "'Mike Squires'" <mikes@sir-alan.chem.indiana.edu>, questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Setting Intel Pro100B to half duplex

>Specify the 100BaseTX media w/o the "full-duplex" media option and it will
>use half-duplex.  Auto is notorious for not properly detecting things.
>-Chris

umm,  the last time this question came up (i.e. when I asked it),
the answer was that not specifying full-duplex puts you in autonegotiate
mode.

Ok, after double-checking myself on this, the answer you (Christopher
Michaels gave) was that you would get half-duplex.  But the answer
David Greenman <dg@root.com> gave was:

>   The fxp device does default to auto-sense, but if you hard configure the
>other end then [NWAY] autonegotiation is disabled, and thus whenever you do
>that you have to set both ends if you want to be sure it is correct. The
>default without autonegotiation is half-duplex.

meanwhile fxp(4) says:

>     The fxp device driver was written by David Greenman.

Guess who I believe.

Also I'm curious about your statement about autonegotiate being
notorious.  I've heard this stated frequently but never with any data
to back it up.  After the above reply from Mr. Greenman I read up on
autonegotiation in 3 different books on high-speed networking and have
come to the _tentative_ conclusion that this rumor is based on old
hardware.

It seems that the 100 Mbps ethernet spec pre-dates the NWAY
autonegotation spec and in fact there was a different method used for
autonegotiation in the earliest days of 100 Mbps ethernet.  My guess is
that this rumor was started during those early days and is still being
dutifully passed on by those who experienced problems with the early
non-NWAY equipment (and those who've heard the war stories from them).

Can you (or anyone) state with any degree of certainty that any modern
equipment built with NWAY autonegotiation exhibits any problems with
autonegotiation?

-Mitch