Date:      Tue, 12 Feb 2002 11:06:51 -0000
From:      "James Green" <james@stealthnet.co.uk>
To:        <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Getting an S3 Savage graphics card working in 4.5

Hi all

We have a new machine which we installed 4.5 on. During installation we did
not know which graphics card was installed and thus we chose Super VGA
standard.

We found out it is a S3 Savage4 on-board chipset (Gigabyte Athlon mobo).

We now have trouble making this work. We have gotten to the stage where
typing 'startx' doesn't do very much. Here's what we did:

1. Went into the graphical XFree86 3.3 configurator. Clicked the 'S3' server
button and were told to install the XF86_S3 binary server. We aborted.

2. Went back into sysinstall post configuration and installed XF4 from the
CD.

3. Performed a XFree86 -configure as root. This appeared to work and
generated a config file in /root.

4. Ran the suggested XFree86 -xf86config <file> as root and the box hung.
Couldn't ssh in from the lan so had to reboot

5. Rebooted, copied the new config file to /etc/XF86Config and, as a normal
user, ran startx.

6. This generated an error. Something about not having any available
sockets, perhaps an X server was already running. Checked this and there
wasn't one. It was suggested to rm -rf /tmp/.X11* which we did, and it came
up with the same error.

7. Was suggested to install Xwrapper from ports. Did this fine, and
symlinked X -> Xwrapper. Did startx again and the box hung.

8. Restarted, and startx again as a normal user. Got nothing. Nothing
whatsoever happened. Did troff on Xwrapper and got nothing in the log at
all.

So, any suggestions? The kernel security level is -1. Help!

Many thanks in advance.

--
James Green
Developer