Date:      Sun, 7 Jul 1996 21:43:46 -0400 (EDT)
From:      rhh@ct.picker.com (Randall Hopper)
To:        fadorn19@idt.liberty.com (Fred Adorno)
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Printing under Netscape

 >Now that I got netscape working under X-Windows why can't I print a file
 >that is legible.  Do I need to get a PS-Adobe reader or driver
 >installed?

Yes.  To my knowledge, postscript is all that's supported on the UNIX
versions.  If your printer supports PostScript, just create a print queue
(/etc/printcap) to it and set the Netscape print command to:

     lpr -P <your-queue-name>

If not, given that your printer is supported by GhostScript, you can pretty
easily create a postscript print queue that kicks off ghostscript and
translates the Postscript into the commands your printer will handle.  For
this, you'd still set your netscape print command to the same thing -- but
your print queue would be set up differently.  Here's what I use for
printing on my HP Laserjet 4P (w/o PostScript SIMM :-):

PRINT_COMMAND:  lpr -Pps

/etc/printcap entries:

lp|LJ4P RAW:\
        :lp=/dev/lpt0:sd=/var/spool/lpd/lp:lf=/var/log/lpd-errs:\
        :mx#0:ff=\033E:fo:sh:tr=\033E:

text|LJ4P TEXT (UNIX->DOS EOL text conversion & PC-8 [not Roman-8] Fontset):\
        :lp=/dev/lpt0:sd=/var/spool/lpd/text:lf=/var/log/lpd-errs:\
        :mx#0:ff=\033E\033&k2G\033(10U:fo:sh:tr=\033E:

ps|LJ4P POSTSCRIPT (Ghostscript PS->PCL conversion):\
        :lp=/dev/null:sd=/var/spool/lpd/ps:lf=/var/log/lpd-errs:\
        :of=/opt/bin/gslj:\
        :mx#0:sf:sh:

/opt/bin/gslj script:

#!/bin/sh

TMPDIR=/usr/tmp
PRINTER=lp
GSLIB=/usr/local/lib/ghostscript/fonts
PATH=/usr/local/bin:/usr/bin:$PATH
export TMPDIR PRINTER GSLIB PATH

exec gs -q -sDEVICE=ljet4 -dNOPAUSE -sOutputFile=\|lpr gslp.ps -

Randall Hopper
rhh@ct.picker.com