Date:      Tue, 06 Feb 2001 10:22:33 -0500
From:      "Antoine Beaupre (LMC)" <lmcabea@lmc.ericsson.se>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Installing just the bin distro via installworld

Hi.

(I did not post this to -stable because it could apply to any -release
as well)

I'm quite experience in the make world process, and I am now using it to
update a old 486 box (from 4.1-REL to 4.2-STABLE) using a installworld
via NFS.

The problem is the the HD for the box is 120MB. eh-eh... That's a big
problem. I swear I'm going to be a good boy and buy a new HD when I'll
have the time, but in the meantime, I'd like to get this running.

I've been able to install 4.1-RELEASE on the box using a CD "mounted" by
ftp on my bigger box. The install when fine, and was "sub-minimal" (only
bin and crypto, no src, no kerberos..), and I had about 3MB left free on
the HD. (that is with 5M of swap).

Seeing the recent "vulnerabilities" (periodic, bind, procfs, etc..) in
4.1, I decided to update the box using my bigger and faster pentium
machine that is following -stable (last update on feb 3rd). So I did the
NFS wizardry, and it worked out well. Make installworld started, I see
it's working fine too.

However, I start worrying when I see the very few free diskspace I have
disappear further and further away, actually, until failure.
installworld failed about half-way through (well, I have no idea about
the exact progress, y'know, no cut buffers, no copy paste, the box is
basically out of service now). No space left on device. And now the
machine's a mess because I do not know what to remove to free disk
space!

So my question is: is it possible to do the equivalent of a sysinstall
of the bin and crypto distros using installworld? I know I can turn off
a few knobs in /etc/make.conf, but it seems it wasn't enough (I even
turned on the undocumented NOMAN).

For the curious, after that, I reinstalled the machine from
releng4.freebsd.org by ftp, removing the whole /usr first. But this lead
to further problems... See other mails...

A.
--
La sémantique est la gravité de l'abstraction.