Date:      Mon, 17 Jan 2005 18:21:42 -0600
From:      John <john@starfire.mn.org>
To:        Mike Jeays <Mike.Jeays@rogers.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: X11 configuration at  5.3 ?

On Mon, Jan 17, 2005 at 07:12:16PM -0500, Mike Jeays wrote:
> On Mon, 2005-01-17 at 10:24, Giorgos Keramidas wrote:
> > On 2005-01-17 14:44, Frank Bonnet <f.bonnet@esiee.fr> wrote:
> > > how is called the X11 configuration tool at 5.3 ?
> >
> > It is called `xorgcfg'.  Try running as root:
> >
> > 	# xorgcfg -textmode

> I had a lot of difficulty when I installed 5.3, even though I have been
> configuring X since FreeBSD 2.1.5.  The tools seem to have taken a step
> backwards with xorg.  xorgcfg -textmode seems to result in a bad
> configuration file, and in graphical mode, it is very obscure, and does
> not show scroll bars on list boxes and the like.
>
> Having to run Knoppix (which gets it right without asking any questions
> at all) isn't a very satisfying solution.

I agree about the tools, but...

I am having VERY good luck with the steps in section 5.4 of
the handbook:
1) X -configure
2) Test the config where it stands by starting X directly
3) Add monitor or any other information you need
4) Copy it to a standard location
Done!  Up and running! (but see the handbook pages)

For laptops, I have found it very helpful to glean the flat panel display
info from /var/logs/Xorg.0.log where it is put.

I have had very BAD luck using the config scripts.  They left me with
locked up or unreadable systems.
--

John Lind
john@starfire.MN.ORG