Date:      Fri, 2 Aug 2002 15:52:55 -0700
From:      "Crist J. Clark" <crist.clark@attbi.com>
To:        stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   'clean' Problems in libgmp

I am having problems building -STABLE on a recent -STABLE box. I can
think of ways to work around this, but I'd like to figure out what is
wrong. I am getting the following error,

  $ make buildworld
  .
  .
  .
  >>> stage 2: cleaning up the object tree
  .
  .
  .
  ===> gnu/lib/libgmp
  .
  .
  .
  rm -f libgmp.so
  rm -f libgmp.so.* libgmp.so
  rm -f libgmp.a libgmp_p.a libgmp.so.3
  rm -rf mpz mpf mpq
  rm: mpz: Read-only file system
  rm: mpf: Read-only file system
  rm: mpq: Read-only file system
  *** Error code 1

  Stop in /usr/src/gnu/lib/libgmp.
  *** Error code 1

  Stop in /usr/src/gnu/lib/libgmp.
  *** Error code 1

  Stop in /usr/src/gnu/lib.
  *** Error code 1

  Stop in /usr/src/gnu.
  *** Error code 1

  Stop in /usr/src.
  *** Error code 1

  Stop in /usr/src.
  *** Error code 1

  Stop in /usr/src.
  $

I am building from an NFS mounted, read-only /usr/src. The object
directory is completely clean at the start. I don't see why it would
matter, but I am building as a non-root user and
MAKEOBJDIRPREFIX=$HOME/obj. I've done a 'make clean; make clean; make
cleandir; make cleandir' in the source tree to make sure there is no
cruft in there.

It looks to me like there is something pretty funky going on in the
*.mk files. I can't figure out why it thinks mpz, mpf, and mpq exist.