Date:      Tue, 22 Oct 2002 06:18:16 -0700
From:      faSty <fasty@i-sphere.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   ipfw bandwidth question.

Hi,

 I need help with ipfw pipe. Let me tell you I am using bridged where the firewall control
entire 11 servers.

Now, I wanted ask you how do i set the ipfw pipe statement. Example:

# pipe 1 and 2 are 2 dedicated servers and pipe 3 is shared bandwidth 256Kbit/s downstream.
ipfw pipe 1 config mask src-ip 0x000000ff bw 750kbit/s queue 8Kbytes
ipfw pipe 2 config mask src-ip 0x000000ff bw 250kbit/s queue 8Kbytes
ipfw pipe 3 config mask dst-ip 0x000000ff bw 256kbit/s queue 8Kbytes
# outgoing
ipfw add pipe 1 all from A to any out via any
ipfw add pipe 2 all from B to any out via any
# incoming
ipfw add pipe 3 all from any to A in via any
ipfw add pipe 3 all from any to B in via any

The outgoing (internet <-- NS firewall/bridged/ipfw bandwidth <-- dedicated server) did not
make any effect when used "out" that set to 250Kbit/s or 750Kbit/s.
How do i get them in effect while the firewall controlled on bridged.

The incoming is beautiful working just charm except outgoing.

I hope you understand what im trying figure how get it work properly.

But if I dont use "out" in statement. it works fine but the statistical show
as double bandwidth usage. Someone told me the firewall pass twice and it makes
look twice bandwidth.. How can i solve this problem?

-- ipfw show

01800         0           0 pipe 1 ip from A to any out xmit any
01900         0           0 pipe 2 ip from B to any out xmit any
02000       210       16349 pipe 3 ip from A in recv any
02100       879       47281 pipe 3 ip from B in recv any
-- end