Date:      22 Nov 2000 10:14:37 -0500
From:      Arcady Genkin <antipode@thpoon.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   ata driver, PIIX3, DMA for hard drive, and HARD READ ERROR

I have a Pentium Gigabyte GA-586HX motherboard with an HX chipset.  It
has PIIX3 IDE controller on board.  To it are connected two
hard drives: a 13G IBM (72K RPM) and a 19G Quantum BigFoot.  The IBM is
the master drive, and both drives are connected to the secondary
controller.[1]  The system is a 4.1.1.

,----[ dmesg ]
| atapci0: <Intel PIIX3 ATA controller> port 0xf000-0xf00f at device 7.1 on pci0
| ata1: at 0x170 irq 15 on atapci0
| ata1-master: DMA limited to UDMA33, non-ATA66 compliant cable
| ad2: 13042MB <IBM-DPTA-371360> [26500/16/63] at ata1-master WDMA2
| ad3: 18366MB <QUANTUM BIGFOOT TS19.2A> [37317/16/63] at ata1-slave WDMA2
`----

The IBM disk gives me HARD READ ERRORS, which scares me quite a bit.
It all starts with a message from the kernel:

,----[ dmesg ]
| ad2: HARD READ ERROR blk# 25418671ad2: DMA problem fallback to PIO mode
| ad2: HARD READ ERROR blk# 25418687 status=59 error=40
| ad2: DMA problem fallback to PIO mode
| ad2: HARD READ ERROR blk# 25418687 status=59 error=40
| ad2: HARD READ ERROR blk# 25418687 status=59 error=40
| ad2: HARD READ ERROR blk# 25677679 status=59 error=40
| ad2: HARD READ ERROR blk# 25677679 status=59 error=40
`----

The ata(4) man page says that PIIX3 supports DMA2, and I know that the
drive supports it for sure.  However, the documentation to the
motherboard has no mention of DMA for the IDE:

,----[ GA-586HX manual ]
| 2-channel Enhanced IDE on board.
| Supports Mode 3,4 IDE & ATAPI CD-ROM.
`----

The errors only come up once in several days.  The computer has been
up for 20 days, and there have been only 7 such messages.  The first
drive has fallen back to pio mode, while the second still remains in
DMA.  However, also note that even in PIO mode it still gives me the
HARD READ errors.

,----[ soup:~# sysctl hw.atamodes ]
| hw.atamodes: pio,dma,
`----

I've installed this hard drive 20 days ago, when the previous one
died.  The previous drive was also giving me the same kind of
errors, which makes me think that perhaps the errors are not the
drive's fault.

My kernel config file has the following relevant options:
,----
| options         SOFTUPDATES
| device          ata
| device          atadisk                 # ATA disk drives
| options         ATA_STATIC_ID           #Static device numbering
`----

The question is: how do I find out if the error comes from the drive
or the controller or a bug in the driver?

[1] I moved the IBM to the secondary controller when I started getting
the HARD READ ERROR's.  Before that it was on the primary by itself,
and the Quantum was on the secondary by itself.  I thought that
perhaps the primary controller was broken, so I switched it, and it
turns out that the same problem appears on the secondary.

Many thanks,
--
Arcady Genkin
Don't read everything you believe.