Date:      Tue, 4 Apr 2000 18:34:51 -0700
From:      Alfred Perlstein <bright@wintelcom.net>
To:        Jens Rehsack <rehsack@informatik.uni-halle.de>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: connection problem: FreeBSD Computer does not respond

* Jens Rehsack <rehsack@informatik.uni-halle.de> [000404 18:25] wrote:

> Alfred Perlstein schrieb:
> >
> > * Jens Rehsack <rehsack@informatik.uni-halle.de> [000404 17:41] wrote:

> > > I think my 3.4-stable is the most current version?
> >
> > No, if you've installed from CDrom then you have 3.4-RELEASE, some time
> > has passed since the release and various fixes have been put into the
> > source since then, read the URL i sent you and do the upgrade, it may
> > help.
>
> Ok. I'm just downloading ftp://.../FreeBSD-STABLE/src/sys.tar.gz
> I hope it will work :-)

Er, you really ought to use cvsup and make world:

(option b)

      b.Use the cvsup program with this supfile. This is the second most recommended method, since it allows you to grab the entire collection once and then only
        what has changed from then on. Many people run cvsup from cron and keep their sources up-to-date automatically. For a fairly easy interface to this,
        simply type:

               # pkg_add -f \
           ftp://ftp.FreeBSD.org/pub/FreeBSD/development/CVSup/cvsupit.tgz

> > > The system is an i486DX2-66,
> > > HiNT motherboard (EISA), Y2K compliant
> > > 32MB RAM (8x4MB)
> > > eth0 => vx0 => 3c597 (3Com Fast-Etherlink III - EISA)
> >
> > it looks like guido@freebsd.org is the writer/maintainer of the driver,
> > you may want to toss him an mail directly and describe the problem.
>
> I don't think that it's a problem with the ethernet card, because the
> computer
> seems to receive the packets. I will try an tcpdump to check, but I'm
> sure... :-)

Yes, but there can be a problem with the driver that causes this sort
of problem.

> > > disk-controller: AHA-2742AT (twin-channel aic7xxx compatible with floppy
> > > port)
> > > two scsi-disks (both id0, on different channels)
> > > yamaha cdr-200 on id 1, channel B (primary)
> > > Spea-V7 1MB VL vga card
> > > 8-bit I/O-card for mouse
> > >

> > Lastly, are you sure you don't have some sort of power-management
> > or APM on?  I'm kinda grasping at straws here, but 30 minutes seems
> > to be a nice round number for APM/power-management.
>
> As sure as I could be. I didn't tried to setup the computer with
> the dos-based AMI-SETUP program, so that I don't have seen all options,
> but in the official parts I didn't recognize sth. about APM.
> Therefore, the computer answers all packets, if I run a ping fw
> (firewall
> machine in LAN) on it.
> The only problem is after boot (it starts not to answering before I've
> send
> a packet out)
> And it seems I've lied - now my ping on it runs for 2 hours and runs
> again.
> But last time, I was for 2 weeks in holiday, I've runned a ping and this
> ping
> stops getting answers after ca. 9000 send packets. (ca. 4 hours)

weird, best of luck with the upgrade, you really ought to contact the
driver maintainer about this.