Date:      Thu, 03 Aug 2000 17:49:05 +0100
From:      "Koster, K.J." <K.J.Koster@kpn.com>
To:        'Michael Robinson' <robinson@netrinsics.com>
Cc:        freebsd-java@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   RE: Linux JDK on FreeBSD

Dear Michael,

First, I would like to add a little oil to the fire by stating that for
server-side Java, there is hardly a difference if you use 1.2.2 or 1.3b.
1.3b's strengths are much improved Swing support.

> That's from Kees Jan Koster's page on building the native
> FreeBSD JDK 1.2.2, last modified Wednesday, 02-Aug-00
> 16:07:38 GMT.

Too bad the modification time is not a per-paragraph thing. Thank you for
pointing out this obvious blunder in my text. I will correct it as soon as
possible.

I apologize for my misleading text, and for the resulting confusion.

> So, my best information is that the FreeBSD team does not
> have an idea for a plan for how to get access to the
> HotSpot code in JDK 1.3.

In fact, Sun has signed an agreement with BSDi that gives them access to
(among other goodies) the HotSpot sources. Since BSDi has merged with Walnut
Creek CDROM, which in turn has historically been FreeBSD's sugar daddy,
FreeBSD developers have access to the HotSpot sources. (if you're still with
me)

> I understand and respect that.  I also appreciate the
> effort you have put into the project.  However, I also
> understand that you are only one person, and not even the
> "FreeBSD Project Lead for Java".  Hopefully others here
> appreciate all the issues as well as you do.

Greg is only one person, and indeed not even FreeBSD Java lead. Technically,
your observations are correct.

However, Greg is the most active member of what could be loosely called a
FreeBSD Java porting team. He has rallied most of the FreeBSD/Java
enthousiasts behind him. In practice, Greg is the man. 'Nuff said.

    Kees Jan

 TV is the worst  of both  worlds.  It's not  as
 good at words  as radio is because the pictures
 are a distraction  which demand  attention, and
 it's not as good as cinema because the pictures
 are not nearly as good.
                                 Douglas Adams